CALLWORK COMICS

CALLWORK COMICS
Callwork Comics by Hazel Manzano is the Philippines' Premier Call Center-Themed Comics! FREE DELIVERY NATIONWIDE! ORDER NOW!

Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Short Story

Inhale. Exhale. Deep sigh. Over and over until the smoke from my cigarette stick goes out. I'm really nervous. The result of our exams are about to come out anytime soon. Normally I'm not afraid to hear the exam results and I don't have vices but this exam depends whether I'll stay with the account or be re-profiled. I was able to breathe easy when the results came. I wasn't able to perfect the scores but at least I passed.

Bad trip! I already wanted to move out from the call center world but I still can't. I still need money nowadays. Why is it that only the BPO industry are the ones with high-paying companies in the Philippines? I don't really care about my way as long as I enjoy what I'm doing. It just so happened that I accidentally got pregnant in the middle of my career. And I had to stand on my own since the father of my child denied to take responsibility. Plus the fact that I am also financially supporting the schooling of my niece in college. I also have to pay bills and buy groceries at home. Oh well, a few more sacrifices and maybe I'll be able to move out of here.

How did I end up working in a call center? I went online and searched for jobs. I landed over JobStreet and submitted applications for different BPOs. I was scheduled for an interview one day and after the fast-paced application process, I was hired.

With God's grace, I'm already in my ninth month here in my second call center. I didn't realize how time flies. It's been a while and I'm still surviving.

Two years ago everything was pretty normal in my life. But ever since I worked in a call center, my world went upside-down. Before, I work in daylight and I can stay as late as I can. But now I can consider myself as a nocturnal animal. I work at night and sleep in the morning.

Because of the schedule, I'm now lazy to go on gimmicks. I just plainly love to sleep instead. Even my meal time changed, and so I developed hyper acidity. Good thing though is that I walk about three hundred meters every day to get to our office so I managed to stay in shape somehow.

Before, I can still meet up with friends, now I can only send SMS or emails because our work schedules differ.

Call center life is difficult yet happy.

Difficult because the food is expensive in the pantry. You also have officemates that loves gimmicks or daylight drinking sessions. Even if you don't like to go with them, they'll say: 'Team building tayo! Bawal ang hindi sumama!'

There's also lots of demands from the management. Too many work to be done but no wage increase.

Regarding vacation leaves, you have to submit your desired dates on time do you'll be the first on the list to be approved or it wont be plotted. You can't just go on leave whenever and all-together because there's only a number of agents allowed to go on leave per day. When its queuing, you're already too tired talking yet you just can't stop or go on break easily. You might be branded for call avoidance and give you white slips as warning or the Call Routing Department will ring your AVAYA's till it smokes out of it.

In simple terms, you can't rest if there are calls waiting. So lately I became sickly because we work like machines. And you can't just file excused leaves. If you have flu, UTI, cardio problems or cancer, you still just can't be absent. For until you can take in calls, you have to. But if your tooth aches, you have a sore throat or tonsillitis, you can be absent. In other words, if your illness concerns your voice, you have the right to be absent. But not over one day without a valid medical certificate.

You also can't browse non-business related sites, mobile phones or any transmitting device are not allowed in the operations area.

Even looks are controlled. You can't wear spaghetti strap blouses, plunging necklines, mini-skirts, shorts and slippers . No eating on workstations (but I can bring in some but managed not to get caught).

Aside from those mentioned, you also have to accept all bad words, profanity and discrimination from your customers.

Call center life is happy yet difficult.

First of all, you work in an air-conditioned office. No worries about sweating. It's always cold.

Second, you'll gain a lot of friends. I'm just lucky I was deployed to one of the best teams with a nice team leader.

Third, undergraduates are welcome to apply. For as long as you're 18 and above and have at least reached second year in college. Rationale, as they say is because there are so many college graduates but not all can speak fluent English or execute good grammar.

Fourth, where can you find an office that can also substitute your apartment because you can sleep in the lounge area or snooze rooms provided by the company? There's also shower rooms if you want to take a bath and nursery if you have your kids that you want to be with. Just bring your yaya to look after them while you're working.

You'll also become better in English communication skills.

And most of all, you enhance your people skills and become more personable since you've talked to different races all over the world.

Plus there's customers that are difficult to deal with, the irate ones. I guess, if ever I'll be facing anyone irate, I can handle the situation better now. This is not my dream job but I am a person who looks for every positive thing in any task given to me. Nothing will happen if I'll just go on complaining. Money is the main reason why I am here. And so I know that money will also be my escape from this world. I'm now saving and saving. Every single cent that goes to my account is equivalent to my freedom from the world of call centers.

But I don't really hate what I'm facing right now. I know, I'm here because it has a purpose in my life. I've also learned a lot here. Everyday is a learning opportunity for me, so I also enjoy.





0 comments. share it here, thanks!:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More